Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Why?

Perhaps putting my thoughts into a blog will allow me to decompress electronically rather than burdening my wife with observations.  A blog is the ideal means for me to record what's happening and share thoughts / ideas about my profession, my hobbies and current events.  My blog will be a public diary of sorts, and the way I figure, if we knew our diaries were to be made public we'd be a bit more accountable, or at least we'd use more discretion.

I want to write a book.  My current project "The truth, If You Can Handle It" has been sitting idle while I dream about a different project called "Pioneer Architecture of the American Plains".  I was thinking that I could write blogs about old farmhouses and barns which could serve as chapters for a book, but that's pie-in-the-sky for now.

The old Rokeby Blacksmith Shop, razed abt 5 years ago.
One hope is that I can use photos and stories via a blog to preserve history.  Today I visited a couple farmsteads that will probably be bulldozed.  I photographed the farm buildings to document them before they're destroyed.  I've been photographing barns for over ten years, and of the hundreds of barns and rural buildings I've photographed probably 30% or more are now gone.  At that rate most of the barns I've photographed thus far will be gone in another 20 years.  Wouldn't it be cool to blog about these old buildings with photos and their stories?


Another idea is to write about my experiences as a home inspector.  The behavior of many in the real estate industry is so egregious that it merits sharing, but I've remained relatively mute for the sake of my own professional livelihood.

We'll see where this goes, but for now it's time to get the kids from school.

No comments:

Post a Comment